Friday, June 10, 2011

Pokemon Cake Balls

I have a confession to make. Here goes:

I am crazy for cake balls.

If you don't know what a cake ball is then I shall shed a single tear, for you are truly missing out on something special. A cake ball is comprised of baked cake crumbles and a bit of frosting mixed in. After forming the mixture into individual balls you dip them in chocolate coating. The coating hardens and gives the treat a satisfying crunch as you bite into its sweet, truffle-like consistency. You can top it with whatever you like or leave them plain. The flavor combinations are endless!

Now, I work at a fairly large video game company - one that may or may not be named after a severe snowstorm with high winds and low visibility...ahem... - so it goes without saying that my co-workers are geeks. Which means I fit right in. It also means that I can affix sculpted fondant Pokemon toppers to cake balls and nobody stares at me funny when I bring them to the team potluck! Behold:

Charmander, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Jigglypuff - all sittin' pretty on top of chocolate/chocolate cake balls!

I have always wanted my very own Pokemon cake ball army. Just one step closer to world domination. Mwah-ha...

For a tutorial on how to make cake balls, I recommend checking out the site of the fabulously talented Bakerella. I also can't say enough grand things about her book: Cake Pops! Cake pops are cake balls but on a STICK. And, as everyone knows, everything's better on a stick! (That's what she said?)

Till next time!

No comments: