Friday, June 17, 2011

Alice in Wonderland Cake Balls

I absolutely love anything related to Alice in Wonderland. There's a unique mysticism about the story and characters that has followed me from childhood into my adulthood. Maybe this is because, at it's core, Wonderland is simply about a girl who manages to thrive in a world where everything has been turned upside down and nothing makes sense. Hmmm, how very relevant! After reading 'The Annotated Alice', I'm positive that my somewhat simplified interpretation is a far cry from the message Mr. Carroll was shooting for, but it's still a nice thought and remains the original reason for why I came to love the story.

Due to my aforementioned obsession, I decided to create some cake ball toppers in honor of Wonderland!




From left to right we have the Queen of Hearts, Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit and Alice.


Some of these were loosely based upon Tim Burton's movie interpretation, particularly the Cheshire Cat and the Hatter's hat. These were all created from fondant, and the details were hand painted with a mixture of food dye and vodka (the alcohol evaporates and leaves behind the dry food coloring.) Inside is red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.

My next Alice project is still in the beginning stages, though I've managed to model out some of the main gum paste bits like the Vorpal Blade and pocket watch. You can bet that I'll post updates as they emerge!

4 comments:

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Very very nice! You're so talented. I'll be using the food dye/vodka tip now. Thanks for linking up with Sweets This Week!

I'm your newest follower.

Nikki said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sarah, and for following my little blog! Hope you have a beautiful day :)

Jill said...

Awesome and amazing! I've just been having a scroll down at other posts and more of your fabulous creations!!! Love them!

Just stopped by from a Friday blog hop. I’m following you now and hope you’ll stop by my blog sometime too! Have a lovely week.
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

sweetopia said...

So adorable!
Just wanted to let you know your sweet is up on Sweetopia's contest this week.
Thanks for entering and good luck!
xo,
Marian